Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Family Vacation Day 2

We had a leisurely morning, with no real plans for the day. We had some spots noted from the AAA site, but didn't feel tied to any of them. So, we couldn't resist stopping to see the World's Largest Prairie Dog in Oakley, KS. When we stopped, Emma asked what we were going to see and I said, "a piece of vintage Americana"; she looked confused.

The prairie dogs were fun, but overall it was a little sad. Certainly not zoo conditions for the fox and coyotes. Given the other descriptions of the wonders at Prairie Dog Town (a six legged steer, miniature donkey, 16 foot rattlesnake), I had almost expected to see a prairie dog on steroids. You'll just have to see in the pictures...



The second stop we made was to the Kit Carson County Carousel. The museum wasn't open, but the carousel itself was well worth the stop (at free parking and a quarter a ride, it couldn't not be, I suppose). There are pictures of the carousel above, but none of us. The one I took of Todd looks blurry (it was hard to see the screen in the sunshine and I thought it was fine), and Emma was in a 'not going to look at the camera' mood. Guess we'll have to go back sometime.

Finally, as evening approached, we were off of Interstate 70 and onto US highway 24. I always like being on these roads, as I feel connected to other places. We've been on 24 in Illinois and Indiana, and it runs by Paulding (Todd's Home Town). We eagerly anticipated our first mountain views, and here are some pictures of those:

No comments: