Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Merry Christmas Eve Morning

So far, I'm the only human awake. The dogs are busy implying that they are starving because they haven't had breakfast yet. Of course, they'll be busy implying that they are starving right after they eat breakfast, too (at least until the cookies are done baking).

We have horrid weather outside. Freezing rain, fog, and ice covering everything from yesterday's freezing rain. And, I've got a few Christmas gifts left to buy (I've had them left to buy for several weeks now and have just not had the time to get to the appropriate stores.). Our local NPR announcer started Morning Edition like this:

Oh the weather outside is frightful
Fog and ice are not delightful
If you've someplace to go
Take it slow, Take it slow, Take it slow

It supposed to melt later today, and then refreeze tonight. This makes me fearful that our cracked retaining wall in the basement will get even worse. We've heard so many conflicting opinions on whether it actually needs fixed or not, whether it's due to the initial construction or water, and how to go about fixing it that we've been on hold trying to sort it out. (Explanation: The original part of our house was built without a basement. To add one, someone dug out under the house below the crawl space, using a retaining wall to hold the dirt under the foundation.)

But, all this belies the title of the post. It is truly a Merry Christmas Eve Morning. Anticipating the lovely and peaceful and exciting services tonight, the joy Emma will experience tomorrow, my own gifts to open, traveling to see family and reunite with a dear friend (in person instead of via the internet)--all of this plus the sweet smell of pineapple cookies baking and a great cup of coffee.

I'm hopeful I can keep this glorious feeling amidst the hectic-ness of stores and driving on slick roads. If not, at least I know I'll regain it tonight at church.

ttfn

No comments: