Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Celebrity in Our Midst...

Debi Thomas always said she was going to be a doctor--well, she now is an orthopedic surgeon at one of our local hospitals.

If you listened to This American Life this past weekend, the story about the Iraq veteran who joined the Muslim Student Organization as therapy for his PTSD occurred at our local community college.

Of course, Roger Ebert grew up here and returns for a film festival each April. Doug Wilson, from Trading Spaces and other TLC shows, grew up nearby. The show when he designed two rooms for his brothers on the family farm sent girls here in a tizzy to see the carpenters. REO Speedwagon also got its start here. (I know there are others in this category but I can't think of them right now.)

Then, we (okay, maybe just Todd and I and some other NPR devotees, not the whole town) also lay claim to having the public radio station that Will Shortz's mother listens to, and a local resident who often submits puzzles to the program.

But, I'm most excited about Debi Thomas. Maybe I can fake an injury enough to get a consultation with her...

No comments: